One Dollar Worth A Million

What do a bottle of cheap shampoo, a New York slice of pizza, a 4x6 print at Wal-Mart, two batteries, something off the dollar menu at McDonalds, and the Oregon Coast Invitational have in common?


The answer is they could all be bought for a dollar.

The historic Oregon Coast Invitational that people mark their calendars for years in advance—the tournament that one person used his only call from jail to get ahold of; the tournament that had someone jump out of their car during a traffic jam, grab their clubs and run to get there on time; the tournament that people can't miss despite recent heart attacks, sprained ankles, thrown out backs, and broken bones, and more—came to Astoria Golf and Country Club for just a single dollar bill.

In 1951, Graham Barbey, who was the President of Astoria Golf & Country Club at the time, was hosting a dinner party with his wife Anne, and a few friends who also happened to be members and directors of the board at the club. Mid-dinner, the phone rang with a call from a very distressed man concerned that the Oregon Coast Invitational was going to be cancelled. John Osborn who was the owner of the Gearhart Hotel had just got word from the Associated Press that Bill Wilcox who owned the Gearhart Golf Course thought the tournament was too much work and was going to cancel. The tournament was supposed to be in two weeks–Prizes had already been purchased and every hotel in the county was booked full.

Being that the entire board was conveniently already assembled at the Barbey’s, it was easy to call a quick board meeting. It was a no-brainer that AGCC should host the tournament. Meeting adjourned. Barbey went back to John to tell him the good news and then went to Bill to see how he could purchase the title of the tournament.


Bill sold it to Graham for $1.


Graham then gave the title to Bob Anderson who was the club attorney at the time, so he could register the name in all the counties along the Oregon Coast. From 1951 and everyday after, the tournament belonged to Astoria Golf and Country Club.